U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, as of July 17, 2017.
Instructions for how to download Form I-9 are available on the Form I-9 page. Employers can use this revised version or continue using Form I-9 with a revision date of 11/14/16 N through Sept. 17, 2017. On Sept. 18, 2017 employers must use the revised form with a revision date of 07/17/17 N. Employers must continue following existing storage and retention rules for any previously completed Form I-9.
Revisions to the Form I-9 instructions include:
- Changed the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to its new name, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section.
- Removed “the end of” from the phrase “the first day of employment.”
Revisions related to the List of Acceptable Documents on Form I-9 include:
- Added the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) to List C. Employers completing Form I-9 on a computer will be able to select Form FS-240 from the drop-down menus available in List C of Sections 2 and 3. E-Verify users will also be able to select Form FS-240 when creating a case for an employee who has presented this document for Form I-9.
- Combined all the certifications of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350, and Form FS-240) into selection C #2 in List C.
- Renumbered all List C documents except the Social Security card. For example, the employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security on List C changed from List C #8 to List C #7.
These changes are also included in the revised Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9 (M-274), which is now easier for users to navigate.
E-Verify User Manual UpdateE-Verify recently revised the E-Verify User Manual to include the most current system enhancements and policy updates. The manual has a new look and feel, looks better on the computer screen, and has a more user friendly navigation. Some sections have been reorganized and consolidated to improve the flow and readability of the information. To assist you in identifying the updates, the revised manual includes a Table of Changes.
See the Contact E-Verify page for E-Verify technical support, phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
Visit I-9 Central to get more details and to stay informed of other upcoming changes.
Healthcare Compliance Solutions Inc. (HCSI) clients will also be able to download the new I-9 form and "Handbook for Employers: Guidance for Completing Form I-9" from our website https://www.hcsiinc.com/ in the "Employment Law (HR)" section found under the in the "Updates/News" link.